Saturday, January 15, 2011

Let's talk about bloat, baby, lets talk about you and me!


Today I want to talk about bloat!  Bloat has plagued my life for so long!  The day that empire waist shirts became popular was one of the happiest days of my life.  Now most people would look at me and say, “You look fine, you don’t look bloated at all.” Then behold I would lift my shirt to show my FOOD BABY! Now I am a small person so it is shocking to see what looks like a belly that is 5 months pregnant.  As I said thank goodness for empire waist shirts!  


Bloating can be caused by many factors.  My bloating was caused by gluten consumption.  No matter what I seemed to eat I bloated up like a balloon.  Obviously it did matter what I was eating because even the smallest bit of gluten was creating this unwanted food baby.

The reason why I am talking about bloat is because this morning I woke up and felt lighter.  I weighed myself and no change there.  Then I thought COULD IT BE?  I lifted my shirt and behold a non food baby belly!  Granted I still have some bloat but going from 5 mo. To 2 mo. is a wonderful feeling!  Just the fact that I wore jeans in my house all day is huge!  For one, I hate jeans! And for two I hate jeans in the house.  Only stretch waist pants for this girl.  Not anymore! Today jeans feel good on my waist because my bloat isn’t trying to fight against them.  It is a good feeling!

I also want to address those of you that feel like a food baby has been plaguing your life as well.  I have heard some concern from people about what they can eat if they go gluten free.  Here is a list of things of common gluten containing items;

  • Binders
  • Blue cheese
  • Bread
  • Breading
  • Some chicken Broths
  • Brown rice syrup ( Lundberg brand brown rice syrup is gluten free)
  • Candy (hard candies, licorice, jelly beans, some chocolates, others)
  • Caramel coloring (made from barley malt enzymes)
  • Cereals
  • Coatings and coating mixes
  • Cold cuts
  • Colorings
  • Communion wafers
  • Condiments
  • Crackers
  • Croutons
  • Dextrins
  • Dispersing agents
  • Emulsifiers
  • Excipients (added to prescription medications)
  • Extenders
  • Extracts
  • Fillers
  • Flavorings
  • Flours made with above grains or derivatives
  • Grain alcohol (ale, beer, bourbon, gin, grain vodka, lager, rice beers (use malt), rye, scotch, whiskey)
  • Gravies
  • Herbal supplements
  • Homeopathic remedies
  • Hydrolyzed protein
  • Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP)
  • Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
  • Imitation bacon
  • Imitation seafood
  • Lipsticks
  • Low or non-fat products
  • Marinades
  • Modified starch, modified food starch (when derived from wheat)
  • Mono- and di-glycerides (made using a wheat starch carrier)
  • Nutritional supplements
  • Oils (wheat germ oil & any oil with gluten additives)
  • Packaged foods
  • Panko
  • Pastas
  • Pharmaceutical Drugs & Over-the-Counter Medications (Request clarification from food and drug manufacturers when necessary.)
  • Playdough
  • Preservatives
  • Processed luncheon meats
  • Sauces
  • Self-basting poultry
  • Soups and soup bases
  • Soy sauce or soy sauce solids (when fermented using wheat)
  • Spices (if containing anti-caking agents)
  • Starch (made from grains listed above, unidentified starch, modified food starch)
  • Stuffing, Dressing
  • Texturized vegetable protein (TVP)
  • Thickeners (Roux)
  • Toothpaste
  • Vegetable gum (when made from oats)
  • Vegetable protein
  • Vinegars (distilled clear and white or with a mash starter)
  • Vitamin E oil
  • Vitamins & Mineral Supplements
Now this list doesn’t mean that I cannot find these items without gluten.  For instance I have vitamins that are gluten free.  Soy sauce is also an example of something that you can find gluten free.  Tamari is soy sauce like and comes gluten free, you can find that in the health food isle at the grocery store. Again there are many options available, the above list is just items that have said to have gluten in them.  Not all products are created equally. Reading labels is your best bet.  Here is a list of things that are safe non gluten containing items;

All fresh fruits and vegetables; nuts and seeds; meats, poultry & seafood, dairy, and the following grains & starches are allowed:
  • Amaranth
  • Arrowroot
  • Beans
  • Buckwheat
  • Corn
  • Garfava
  • Millet
  • Nut Flours
  • Soy
  • Potato
  • Quinoa
  • Rice
  • Sorghum
  • Tapioca
Research suggests that oats in moderation are safe for most with gluten issues, but many oat products are contaminated with gluten during processing.  Bob’s Red Mill states that their oats are certified gluten free.
Alcohol that is safe: wine, rum, tequila and sake.

I am also getting a lot of “you poor thing.” I don’t thing I have anything to complain about! I cannot have a muffin from the grocery store, but so what?  I have found what makes me feel good and that to me is more important than being upset that I can no longer eat a breadstick.  I am excited to find new recipes and continue to feel the changes of a healthier me! Stay tuned for my favorite gluten free products blog!

Peace, Love and Eat Well,
                                    Ashley

4 comments:

  1. I may try it myself what can you loose except for all the discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's even gluten free beer - Red bridge by Anheuser-Busch is probably easiest to find but there are others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! who needs discomfort...it is 11:23pm and I am still in jeans! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah def. gluten free beers are out there, so have no fear beer drinkers :-) It is amazing to trace back those times I had a glass of beer and then would swell up! Glad I don't have to experience that anymore! I also don't drink beer anymore. I do however enjoy some wine every now and then ;-)

    ReplyDelete