Sunday, March 27, 2011

Transitioning

So here in Maine it is the end of March and 20 degrees! The days are getting longer and they also seem to be getting colder! I am trying to be patient but come on winter, it was nice for a while but its time for you to go now! Alright well I am done complaining ....for now, but if it snows again there may be more complaints! Anyone else tired of shoveling?
Some hope! come on tulips!
Moving on....I titled this blog transitioning because that is what my husband and I are currently doing.  He is transiting to a new job (one that will hopefully acknowledge his worth) and he is also transiting into quite the craftsman.  He has always been a creative person but lately he is really developing his creativity in different ways.  I love watching what he comes up with, for one he is a fantastic landscape designer!  If anyone wants to have a design drawn up of your yard then he is the person to call, and I am not just saying that because he is my husband (or maybe I am ;-).  He also started blogging about plants, you can read his blog Here.  Another thing he has been doing lately is becoming quite the woodworker!  He makes earring holder frames, boxes and painting frames (which works out well for a family of artists!).  When you have been with someone for 10 years it is exciting to see the changes and the transitions you go through as a couple and separately :-)
Box with coasters, with drift wood handle!

some of last summers harvest!


My transitions, well you all know what they are if you read this blog.  I feel like I am one big transition lately.  I am letting things happen and holding on for dear life!  One thing I am doing is transitioning our diet from our winter staples of root vegetables to more summer vegetables. I like to eat what is locally growing but sometimes you just need to feed your cravings!  Last summer we had an abundance of zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, among other wonderful veggies and when winter approached I was ready for some warming root veggies, however, now that spring is here (sort of) I am craving those wonderful summer veggies once again.  A couple weekends ago I made a rice dish that has some root vegetables (local) and some beautiful summer vegetables (not so local).




My transitioning meal palette included; adapted from one of my favorite recipes here


1 cup Brown Rice                                   
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion,diced
1 Zucchini,diced
2 heads of brocolli
3 carrots, diced
1 turnip,diced
1 parsnip,diced
1 can diced tomatoes2 tsp Thai curry paste
2 tbps pumpkin seeds
1 egg


I cooked my brown rice in my rice cooker, while I cooked the vegetables.  Heat pan with coconut oil, then add onion, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, turnip, and parsnip.  Let them cook on medium heat till onion is translucent and vegetables are the way you like (I like a little crunch).  Add tomatoes and stir in red curry paste (can add more if you like it spicy).  then add pumpkin seeds and your egg.  I just crack the egg straight into the pan and then stir till cooked.  This makes around 4-6 servings ( if you don't go back for seconds) I froze leftovers to have for the following week.  Tastes great the second time around too!

How are you transitioning into spring? or in your life?

Spring wreath I made! Come on Spring!


Peace, Love and Spring into transitions!
                                                    Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment