Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Feeling blue? Cook with Orange!

Things in my life have been nothing short of stressful lately.  There are many things that I do to fight stress including yoga, walking my dog and my favorite....COOKING!  When I plan my meals my palette always has some green in it.  However; when fighting off the blues the other night, I was inspired by orangeOrange is such an uplifting color and I needed something uplifting!  So I grabbed all the orange items I could find from my pantry and fridge and went to work building my palette for that nights dinner!

My palette included:

1 cup millet
2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 cup water

1/2 can organic black beans
2 tbsp coconut oil 
1 medium onion, sliced
3 medium carrots
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot put in millet, sweet potatoes, water, coconut milk, Bring to a boil.  Once boiling cover pot and simmer for 25 minutes.  Meanwhile, saute onion and carrots in coconut oil then add corn (I used organic frozen corn), once onions and carrots are soft add black beans and spices then turn on low.










When your timer for the millet goes off open your lid to a beautiful orange surprise! Mash the sweet potato with the millet then add your remaining ingredients and stir together. 









 
Grab a bowl and devour your orange meal, it feels good going down and perhaps will lift away your blues ;-)  Another mood lifter to this meal is that it makes a bunch, so I froze half and then had it the following week when I wasn't feeling the cooking love, so hey it served its mood lifting purpose twice!













Is cooking a stress reliever for you? What colors make you happy?

Peace, Love and Enjoy the colors of your food!
                                                                Ashley

4 comments:

  1. looks amazing! you seriously put me to shame!!

    ~heather, (your blog is making me select a profile? so confused, so i picked anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the deal with Millet? I would have used Quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like orange pumpkins, red apples ....green cucumber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather you are so silly! I do not put you to shame! You are very sweet!

    The blog wants you to select a profile so that I can id you, it can be your email or if you have a blog people could link to it through my page, but anonymous works too! :-) <3

    ReplyDelete